Learn About Hypnosis
Remove fear, and one hundred people out of one hundred will enter hypnosis easily.Dave Elman, hypnosis instructor to medical professionals
Hypnosis is a state of relaxation in which you are:
- In total control and,
- Can accept or reject any suggestions you hear
Hypnosis is not:
- Being controlled by someone else
- A loss of self control
- A state of unconsciousness
- A state of sleep
Use of hypnosis or trance healing began thousands of years ago in traditional shamanism. It was popularized in the nineteenth century by Charles Mesmer and was used extensively by field doctors in the American Civil War in place of chemical anesthetics.
Freud also made extensive use of hypnosis in his early career. This is the origin of the "therapist's couch."
Hypnosis as a Recognized Modality for Healing
All Hypnosis is Self-Hypnosis!
You are always in control of your mind and your body while in hypnosis. You choose to enter hypnosis, stay in hypnosis, accept the suggestions, and emerge from hypnosis at all times.
Examples of everyday natural hypnotic states are:
- Driving the car
- Riding the elevator
- Watching TV, movies, computer screens or video
- Being bored by another person
- Waking up and going to sleep
Why Use Hypnosis?
In hypnosis you access your subconscious, the more powerful part of your mind where real, lasting change takes place.
You may have heard it said that we only use 10% of our brain. Hypnosis is a way to get access to the other 90%.
Who Can be Hypnotized?
Any person of normal intelligence can be hypnotized. All that is necessary is imagination and a willingness to cooperate. The ease at which someone can hypnotized is dependent upon their ability to relax and simply listen.
The best subject is a person who has a good reason for hypnosis and a strong motivation to accomplish a particular need or desire.
Roberta De Silva, CHt, gave this example:
If you were going to learn to play the piano, your teacher would point to a particular key and say, "This is middle C." To you, that is a suggestion. You either accept or reject the fact that the note in question is middle C.
If you accept, you will undoubtedly go on and learn to play the piano. If you reject the suggestion, you may eventually learn to play, but it will be a long, hard and confusing process. If you approach hypnosis with confidence, rather than fear, you will achieve your desired goals.