Hypnosis for Childbirth - What Is It and How Does It Work?by Hypnobabies Founder Kerry Tuschhoff, HCHI, CHt, CI
Mention Labor and Delivery to an expectant mom in her last trimester and chances are good that her heart will begin to race, her mind floods with concern and in some cases, panic. She knows that the day is coming when a force much bigger than herself will take over and her body will govern itself completely. For some women, this is a very fearful event, but for a Hypnobabies mom, it is an eagerly anticipated challenge.
- All hypnosis is self-hypnosis; the hypnotherapist is only the guide. A person chooses to enter into a hypnotic state, stay in and come out at will.
- Approximately 90-95% of the population can be hypnotized. Willingness, belief and motivation have great influence over hypnotizability.
- During hypnosis you are neither asleep nor unconscious, and will always "come out" whenever you wish.You are always in complete control.
- Stronger-minded and stronger-willed people are easier to hypnotize; not the other way around as is usually assumed.
- You cannot be made to divulge information or do anything against your will while in hypnosis.
- Hypnosis is not Satanic or religion-oriented at all, just a way to direct your inner mind toward the positive for great personal benefit.
- We are all in states of hypnosis many times a day already!
What about Childbirth Hypnosis Classes?
Your Birth Partner can have a very integral role in the preparation process: listening to the CDs, reading the handouts and guiding the Hypno-mother into deep relaxation with hypnosis scripts. They are also an invaluable part of the labor and birth process as they help you to focus and concentrate, as well as supporting you physically. Please note: Mothers without partners can easily learn, practice and use Hypnboabies on their own. All aspects of Labor and Birth are covered in Hypnobabies classes, as well as information on Nutrition, Exercise, Avoiding Complications and Back Labor, Fear Clearing Sessions, Birth Plans, Consumer Issues and Postpartum as well as much more.
Fear and Expectation
In other cultures, childbirth is regarded as a natural, normal event in a woman's life. The birthing women are given support from other women, and children are often present to witness the event. In this way, birth is celebrated and honored. Young girls then grow up with the belief system that birth is a positive event and their expectations of childbirth reflect this attitude. As a result, their births are similar to their predecessors; without pain and fear.
We experience pain in childbirth, in part because we very much expect to!
Too good to be true?
Without a doubt, all of our Hypnobabies moms are much calmer and more relaxed during labor which automatically creates more comfort, as well as having *powerful* post-hypnotic suggestions to actually eliminate pain and fear. How effective is this? Statistics vary depending on the goals of each Hypnobabies mother, as well as the dedication and compliance to the program. Our Hypnobabies Instructors all have backgrounds in bothhypnotherapy and childbirth education and are able to address each woman's personal needs to help her achieve her goals for childbirth. When expectant mothers feel supported and nurtured during their birth preparation, their satisfaction with childbirth is greatly enhanced.
Our goal at Hypnobabies is to help all women have a much easier and more comfortable childbirth experience. Most of our natural childbirth mothers do indeed enjoy these benefits, and many moms who originally planned on having some labor medication actually surprise themselves by having a natural birth by practicing and using Hypnobabies!
- Very Comfortable births - 70-75%. give Women who report that they felt mostly pressure, tightening or mild cramping sensations.
- Comfortable until transition - 15%. give Pressure only, until the 10-60 minute transitional period, with mild to intense degrees of sensation thereafter. "Very manageable."
- Comfortable until active labor – 10%, with mild to intense degrees of sensation thereafter
* This group can have any number of things that affect their birth experiences; prodromal labor, posterior or asynclitic presentations that do not resolve, other labor complications, emotional issues, lack of support, or they simply did not do their homework! (45 minutes a day) Hypnosis for childbirth won't help a mother or a couple that is not willing to do the work involved in preparing for their baby's birth.
All women reported that the Relaxation and Fear Clearing in Hypnobabies were invaluable to them during their labors.
Benefits of using Hypnobabies:
- Many moms use fewer drugs or no drugs, which means less risk of side effects for you and your baby, due to elimination of the Fear/Tension/Pain Syndrome, and using post-hypnotic suggestions.
- Most Hypno-mothers have shorter labors since there is less resistance of the birthing muscles when pain and fear are minimized or eliminated.
- Hypno-Moms generally have much more energy throughout first and second stage, due to total relaxation throughout the birthing process.
- The birthing environment is much more calm and peaceful when you, the natural childbirth mother are comfortable, relaxed and confident.
- Breech and posterior babies can be turned using hypnosis.
- Blood pressure, heart rate, and temperature can be lowered and nausea, back and hip pain eliminated with hypnosis during pregnancy and labor.
- There are fewer interventions for failure to progress and therefore fewer complications during labor for our mothers and babies.
- As a Hypno-Mom, you are easily "deprogrammed" from the usual negativity of childbirth stories and scenarios you may have heard or read, by way of training in Hypnobabies classes and audio CDs which have positive messages and hypnotic suggestions. This automatically allows you to have a much more positive attitude and confidence in birthing. It is truly a gift that you are giving yourself, an amazingly easy way to enjoy your pregnancy more and actually look forward to your baby's birth.
It is well worth the time to look into Hypnobabies as a wonderful birthing option, both for yourself and for your baby. Natural Childbirth without intense discomfort has many benefits to mom and baby, and the deep relaxation has even helped many a nervous birth partner to enjoy pregnancy and childbirth, since they experience hypnosis in Hypnobabies class as well! In addition, the skills you will learn for relaxation and hypnosis will benefit you both for the rest of your lives.